Saturday 26 July 2008

To take for granted...


Chilling out in the village (pind) I was reminiscing the events of the past week and it made me think about my recent trip New York where I brought back gifts without a moment of thought. How my nephews received, designer tops, timberland boots, puma and Nike trainers, basketball gear and so on... but do they know how fortunate they are? Do we realise how lucky we are? the answer: NO… NO WAY! We simply make money and can so casually purchase items of our choice

Another volunteer/friend from the UK kamal decided to buy the girls at the hostel new outfits…donors pour donations by the bucket full and receiving clothes and personal choice are two different things. How ungrateful we are to our parents who have sacrificed so much so we can have our pleasures? Have we ever thanked them for small mercies?

Speaking of parents I was watching a film today Bhagban and by GOD it makes you realise what our generation is about.

Our parents teach us how to walk, talk and play, they sacrificed their dreams to make ours come true they went to sleep hungry making sure our tummies were full! They fulfilled our every need and desire without a moments hesitation and felt more pain when they could not.

So…


- Why is it a chore for us to provide for our parents when they are unable to do so?
- Why is when they need funds we look at our accounts and frown?
- Why cannot we give them light when they feel darkness of their old age?
- Why are we not their strength when they become weak and fragile?

Especially when we owe our whole lives to them…

At the end of the film the actor made such a valid point about the meaning of relationships developed in this day and age. No longer are they based upon loyalty, honesty and integrity. They are about selfish motives how one can use such relationship to better themselves. Parents are not ladders, the first rung and once used thrown away like old clothes and dirty pots and pans. In fact parents are roots of trees no matter how fruitful or big the tree grows it roots remain the foundation and without them the whole tree is lifeless and futile.

Wow… such a powerful message to us all about our parents! If there is one thing I will NEVER regret it is telling those close to me how much I love them and how much value they have in my life. No one knows our fate and Gods will, so why wait till tomorrow to express your feelings because trust me when I say you never know…

“You may not see that person ever again…”

3 comments:

Sumeet Singh said...

I still cry whenever I watch Bagbhan...breaks your heart doesn't it. I use things like that to always remind me what they've given me, life.

Varinder said...

Thanks for posting pics Manni. How old is Gurpal?

Manni Kaur Dulai said...

Hey Varinder

Well.. due to the circumstances of such children, they work with estimates so he is around 22 years old.. but obviously alot younger mentally...that said due the lack of education and provision in terms of special educational needs the students are much behind compared to their counterparts in the UK...